5 min read
11:FS on tour – Money 20/20 Vegas, Day 2 Roundup
Day 2 has come to an end here at Money 20/20 and, despite last night’s industry party, it was jam packed with action.
#Money2020 Day 1 highlights: https://t.co/atXEcXvJbb Tune in LIVE today from 9:30 PST: https://t.co/Fz1cvqSt0P pic.twitter.com/2IE3JUF5RA — FinTechInsider (@FinTechInsiders) October 23, 2018
There was the final of the Payments Race, and we hosted a live news show with no fewer than seven guests. The show was a whistle stop tour of some of the most interesting announcements to come from the event. The episode will be out on Monday but here's a sneak peak of what we talked about:
- Executives from AMEX and Amazon told us about a new partnership that will see them launch the Amazon Business American Express card for small businesses. The story sparked conversation about how you build payment habits, and how best to serve small businesses.
#money2020 @money2020 pic.twitter.com/yUrrFsvA4N — FinTechInsider (@FinTechInsiders) October 23, 2018
- Worldpay told us about its new contactless payment solution which is currently being tested with fast food chain Jimmy John's. For our non-US readers, apparently they are big in Seattle!
- Credit scoring and insights firm Credit Karma’s CEO sprinted across the conference from another stage to tell us all about its new Marketplace product.
"People start changing because it makes a difference to their bottom line." - Ken Lin Founder and CEO at Credit Karma on making lending easier. Ken has joined us to speak more about @creditkarma's marketplace. 🔥 pic.twitter.com/j2iKGSpP51— FinTechInsider (@FinTechInsiders) October 23, 2018
- We chatted about Canadian company Finn Ai's $11 million funding round. Yes, we talked about how great it was that the story included the number 11, but also the importance of some of the funding coming from BDC's Women In Tech fund.
- The final section of the show was led by banking executives who first discussed JPMorgan Chase's IIN blockchain project expanding to include more than 100 banks.
"We are over 100 now. We have all the relationships. I'm predicting we'll have another 100 banks in a few weeks."Talking about the @jpmorgan Interbank Information Networks expansion with Matt Loos of @Chase. Exciting times ahead! #money2020 @money2020 pic.twitter.com/3DSVWBedW3 — FinTechInsider (@FinTechInsiders) October 23, 2018
- One of those banks was BBVA, so the next topic was its recently launched Open Banking platform, which offers banking-as-a-service, in the US. The news reopened old wounds for at least one panellist still smarting from the outcome of yesterday's F'in Debate.
#APIs through our open platform." - @IanPobi Head of New Digital Business @bbva #money2020 pic.twitter.com/Ojat238uZu — FinTechInsider (@FinTechInsiders) October 23, 2018
The day closed with the Pitch-Off of the Startup Pitch At Money 20/20 competition, judged by a panel including Shaquille O’Neal no less.
All in all, another great day here in Las Vegas!