333. News: Everybody knows a Dave
David and Simon are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days. Including: The winners from the latest RBS Remedies pool, Monzo heads Stateside and Dave can help your credit score!
This week we have some great stories for you as David and Simon are joined by a couple of great guests:
- Michael Fotis - CEO and Founder, Smart Money People
- Dean Butler - Head of Innovation at Prudential
- Shafali Gupta - VP Strategy & Ops at Fluidly
We kick off the episode by taking a look at the winners from the latest RBS Remedies pool! Luckily, we actually have someone who is part of the group of winners on the panel! Shafali Gupta from Fluidly gives us some insights on how the last week has been over at Fluidly. The panel discuss the other winners, what the fund can do for SMEs and what the people over at Fluidly are planning on doing with the money! (01:48)
Next up, we talk about Monzo going stateside! Monzo was an instant hit when it launched in the UK, and now the challenger bank is looking to expand to America! The panel argues that if this was supposed to be a secret, it is arguably the worst kept secret ever. Challenger banks from the UK have been looking at the American market for a while now, so how will Monzo do over there? Will the American people be intrigued by this British bank? Will the hot coral make as big of an impression over there as it did here? (08:54)
Other stories include:
- Bank investments in technology not yet driving significant revenue growth (18:19)
- Google and PayPal explored OCC’s fintech charter, then walked away (22:49)
- Bank of England finds UK challenger banks cut corners (26:37)
- Kevin Hollinrake accused of hiding conflict of interest (31:32)
- After Loot runs out of cash, founder and 17 team members join RBS’ digital bank Bó (35:25)
- Uber is pivoting to fintech, something Asian startups have been doing for years (40:00)
- Dave, a fintech startup backed by Mark Cuban and Diplo, is launching a checking account that helps users build their credit score (54:52)
- Amazon selling shock bracelet to help you curb bad habits (1:00:20)
All this and so much more on today's show.
Don't forget to subscribe so you never miss an episode, leave a review on iTunes and let us know your thoughts on the stories @FintechInsiders on Twitter where you can also ask the hosts questions, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This week's episode was produced by Laura Watkins and edited by Alex Woodhouse.
Special Guests: Dean Butler, Michael Fotis, and Shafali Gupta.
- Bank investments in technology not yet driving significant revenue growth: Accenture - Reuters
- Google and PayPal explored OCC’s fintech charter, then walked away | American Banker
- After Loot runs out of cash, founder and 17 team members join RBS’ digital bank Bó | TechCrunch
- Uber's pivot to fintech was done years ago by Ola, Grab, and Go-Jek — Quartz
- Dave's new checking account is the first to build users' credit - Business Insider
- Amazon selling shock bracelet to help you curb bad habits - Trending & Viral News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis