343. News: Trump’s gonna shut this down!
David Brear and Simon Taylor are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days. Including: Robinhood’s 7x unicorn valuation following a new funding round, Alibaba eyes US domination, how do you tally up your gold and so much more!
This week we have some great stories for you as David Brear and Simon Taylor are joined by a some great guests:
- Valentina Kristensen, Director, Growth & Communications at OakNorth
- Gary Rohloff, Co-Founder and Managing Director at Laybuy
- Sam O’Connor, CEO at Coconut
We kick off the episode by taking a look at trading startup, Robinhood's latest raise, which valued the company at $7.6bn! Simon explains how the mobile only players in the market seem to be growing much faster, and Valentina says that this raise points towards them gearing up for an IPO. (2:16)
Next up, we talk about a Great British banking switch towards the likes of Monzo and Starling. They talk about how an increase in advertising by those banks has affected this, as well as the almost frictionless opening of a new current account with the challengers in comparison to the incumbents. (14:28)
Other stories include:
- Monzo and Starling sail ahead in banking apps poll (17:30)
- Starling senior executives take flight from app-based bank (24:05)
- We hear from Mojo's CEO on teaming up with Monzo (30:48)
- Australian smartphone bank 86 400 wins banking licence (45:43)
- Metro Bank to replace Vernon Hill as profits dive (48:10)
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is coming to the US in a major way (53:54)
- Tally launches banking app tied to gold ownership (59:18)
All this and so much more on today's show.
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates, Leda Glyptis and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive in subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking
Don't forget to subscribe so you never miss an episode, leave a review on iTunes and let us know your thoughts on the stories @FintechInsiders on Twitter where you can also ask the hosts questions, or email email@example.com
This week's episode was produced by Laura Watkins and edited by Alex Woodhouse.
Special Guests: Gary Rohloff, Richard Hayes, Sam O'Connor, and Valentina Kristensen.
- Trading startup Robinhood raises $323 million, achieving $7.6 billion valuation | Reuters
- 255,000 people ditch their bank accounts - who they're joining instead | Mirror
- Monzo and Starling sail ahead in banking apps poll | Finextra
- Starling senior executives take flight from app-based bank | FT
- Australian smartphone bank 86 400 wins banking licence | Finextra
- Metro Bank to replace Vernon Hill as profits dive | BBC News
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is coming to the US in a major way | Business Insider
- Tally launches banking app tied to gold ownership | Finextra