409. News: Banks react as coronavirus impacts global financial markets
Ross Gallagher and Sarah Kocianski are joined by some great guests to talk about some of the most interesting stories of the last 7 days, including: RBS preps for coronavirus impacts, Standard Chartered detail virtual bank, and Starling joins Team GB!
Our expert hosts, Ross Gallagher and Sarah Kocianski, are joined by some great guests to talk about the most notable fintech, financial services and banking news from the past week. This week's guests include:
- Pranav Sood - VP Small Business at GoCardless
- Valentina Kristensen, Director of Growth and Comms, OakNorth
We cover the following stories from the fintech and financial services space:
- RBS offers funding, and mortgage breaks to address coronavirus (01:44)
- Standard Chartered names new Hong Kong virtual bank (10:20). Plus, we hear more on this from Mox CEO Deniz Guven. (15:52)
- OakNorth Bank reports spike in pre-tax profits (18:05)
- Xinja bars new customers after interest rates drop (29:09)
- Revolut allegedly applying for UK bank licence (37:45)
- Operations frozen at Yes Bank, co-founder arrested for alleged money laundering (42:39)
- Starling to sponsor Team GB at the Tokyo Olympics (50:36)
This podcast is brought to you by Stake, the digital brokerage app bringing you unrivalled access to the US market. Invest in over 3,500 US stocks and ETFs, including game-changing companies like Google, Amazon and Tesla. Trading is instant, direct and commission-free, and with a fully digitised sign-up, you’ll be in the market in minutes. Visit hellostake.com or search ‘Stake Trade’ to seize the US market’s 31 trillion dollars-worth of opportunity today.
Love fintech? Then sign up for our newsletter, Fintech in Five. A snack-sized selection of the week's biggest stories, longer reads, soundbites and more. Just visit this link to sign up! 11fs.com/newsletter
Fintech Insider by 11:FS is a podcast dedicated to all things fintech, banking, technology and financial services. Hosted by a rotation of 11:FS experts including David Brear, Simon Taylor, Jason Bates, Leda Glyptis and Sarah Kocianski and joined by a range of brilliant guests, we cover the latest global news, bring you interviews from industry experts or take a deep dive into subject matters such as APIs, AI or digital banking.
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to subscribe and please leave a review
Special Guests: Deniz Guven, Pranav Sood, and Valentina Kristensen.
- RBS offers funding, and mortgage breaks to address coronavirus
- Standard Chartered names new Hong Kong virtual bank
- OakNorth Bank reports spike in pre-tax profits
- Xinja bars new customers after interest rates drop
- Revolut allegedly applying for UK bank
- Operations frozen at Yes Bank, co-founder arrested for alleged money laundering
- Starling to sponsor Team GB at the Tokyo Olympics